- Pair of genuine natural gut double bass first and second strings
- G string typically 2.2mm diameter. D string typlically 2.7mm diameter. Please note that these are hand made strings and there will be some variation of the string diameters. The above figures are typical.
- Set that action high and give it a few weeks to get rid of the twang
- New strings require time to settle and stretch and with time the tone will improve
- Gut is a strong hard handmade material with a soft tone - completely different to steel.
Excellent quality natural gut Upright Double Bass / Contrabass G and D strings.
The length of the strings is at least 1750mm - which will fit all sizes.
Gut strings were traditionally always used on double bass and many other string instruments.
Gut is much lighter than the common cheaper steel strings that are often used today.
Gut provides a clear and full bodied sound which has excellent sustain and a much warmer response.
Gut strings will give a unique tone for solo jazz and orchestra players.
These strings are also good for playing authentic chamber music (chamber
musicians will often retune their instrument to more traditional tunings and use gut strings to get a more
Folk, country and jazz players often use gut double bass strings to provide a vintage sound.
Be aware that gut strings tend to go out of tune much more often than steel strings,
however, they have a much nicer feel and a more mellow sound.
Our gut contrabass strings are handmade from the finest materials, hence they tend to be more expensive
than steel strings, however if you want the mellow tone and the feel of gut then these are
far better than the synthetic alternatives.
Gut strings are hand made from sheep guts which are stretched and spun together to make
each string the correct diameter.
They are more sensitive to changes in humidity and temperature than steel or synthetic strings.
The gut material is twisted by hand by craftsman who through many years of experience are able to properly
judge the tension and make corrections.
Gut gives a lower tension and a softer feel with warm rich tones. A high twist gives better sustain and tuning stability.
If you play baroque music bluegrass, rockabilly or jazz then you should try out a set of gut strings.